Why was the OM-D E-M5 so successful?

Started Oct 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,306Gear list
Like?
Re: Why was the OM-D E-M5 so successful?
In reply to bgalb, Nov 3, 2013

bgalb wrote:

First, I went to MFT format because of total system weight and "good enough" IQ. Started with GH2, which i considered the best available MFT cam 3 years ago. 18 months ago I went to EM5 because of excellent IBIS and better DR.

Now am going to E-M1 because it equals or exceeds the EM5 in all areas except weight,

Well, this depends. I used my E-M5 mostly with the HLD-6 grip. The E-M1 is 30g lighter than E-M5 plus grip and a little less tall, so it fits even easier in my bag. So the advantage goes to the E-M1 also in this case.

has better ergonomics, has 1/8000 shutter speed, better switchology (is that a word?), has the much smaller focus area adjustment (which I liked on the GH2), has better CAF, has ISO 100 (questionable advantage).

Still love the E-M5 and will probably keep it as a second camera. E-M1 on back order at B&H.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow