Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Diffraction
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, ...
In reply to cdherman, 5 months ago

I also have the K-x. I REALLY want the K-3. Why?

Pentax/Ricoh is a bit of an underdog, which means they deliver more features at a lower price point than the competition, because they have to. Frankly, I find it astounding that even with the fewer numbers of cameras they sell, they still manage to do so.

I do not see anything the other two can offer for me. Full frame might be nice for some, but I do not need it, because:

I do not shoot ultra-wide, and if I did, the Sigma 8mm would be plenty wide for me.

I do not need apertures < 1.4. Since I upgraded from the K-10D to the K-x, I rarely use apertures below 2.8 anymore - when taking people pictures, it is too much subject isolation, meaning the subject itself is unfocused in certain parts. It is actually a pity, since my Samyang 85mm goes down to 1.4, but I never use it. It still does shine between 2.5 and 4.0, so it does not matter as much.

What I find interesting is that you want to buy a 50-500 lens, but consider at the same time going to FF. If you need a long lens, APS-C is actually "better" for you, since you crop out the 1.4x zoom. Of course, you can do the same with an FF camera, but it costs a lot more.

I am well invested in Pentax, and I absolutely like where Pentax is headed at the moment. For me, I therefore cannot think of why I would switch.

Now, for that K-3...

Diffraction's gear list:Diffraction's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC HSM Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow