SO FRUSTRATED AT NOISE CONTROL TREND (warning: venting)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AngelicBeaver
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
SO FRUSTRATED AT NOISE CONTROL TREND (warning: venting)
11 months ago

I'm shopping for cameras.  I've owned several over the years, and I've resisted the temptation to shoot RAW.  I've never seen anything that's made me think that the trade offs were worth it.  Larger file sizes, slower processing speed, having to use some sort of software to do anything with my photos.  JPEGS have always been good enough... until recently.

Olympus had a great camera with the EPL2.  You set the noise suppression to "Off" and it is OFF.  The images are grainy grainy grainy, but they look quite lovely up to ISO 1200 or so.  They the color blotching shows up, and blacks start being blue and weird.  Fast forward to the future and you'd think they'd have the same noise characteristics, only improved, right?  No.  You are no longer allowed to turn off noise suppression.  Setting it to "off" results in a less-smeared image.  Higher ISO images look mushy as opposed to grainy but crisp that was what the EPL2 put out.

The most frustrating thing is that it seems EVERY camera manufacturer is doing this.  It's like they think that everyone is allergic to any kind of grain in their photos.  I've seen grain with nasty digital characteristics (banding, regular patterns, etc) and I've seen random grain that looks pretty good.  I certainly don't mind a grain free image, and would prefer it if it was generated because the sensor is fantastic, but what I am seeing is that everyone is talking about each successive camera generation's high ISO improvement, but strip away the new noise reduction processing and the actual improvement doesn't seem to be that dramatic.

What they are actually doing is faking sensor improvements because the public expects it.  You can look at DPR's noise comparison tool for proof.  Look at the smudgy jpegs with the noise reduction supposedly "off".   Look at the EPL2 vs. the EM-1.  Look at the Canon 6D and the 5D II and 5DIII.  Look at just about any camera.

All I want as far as noise control is a setting that will get rid of chroma noise.  LEAVE my luminance noise alone.  Let ME decide if I want the camera to give me a FAKE looking smoothed over JPEG or not.  I keep getting excited about camera after camera and then I look at what they do with the JPEGs at higher ISOs and I just want to scream.

I DON'T WANT TO SHOOT RAW JUST TO GET THE NOISE SUPPRESSION DONE THE WAY I WANT IT DONE!  How hard is it to just give me two settings for noise control?  Chroma and Luminance.  Chroma ON and Luminance OFF.  Easy-peasy.

I feel like I'm the only one in the world that wants something like this.  Maybe I am.  Hence, the utterly futile venting.  Hey, feel free to rant too.  You can even play me a sad song on your tiny violin.

-- hide signature --

I have no signature because I am angry at Olympus.

AngelicBeaver's gear list:AngelicBeaver's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow