Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
P7800 finally fully tops Canon's G series
9 months ago

I recently spent some time with the new P7800 and here are some observations.

When I compared the P7700 (Which I currently own) with the Canon G15, I though, "Gee, I wish the Nikon had a viewfinder...and....Gee, I wish the Canon had the moveable LCD display...and...Gee, I wish the Nikon was quicker shooting RAW...and...Gee, I wish the Canon had a lens and IQ like the Nikon. In the end the 200mm sharp end and better IQ won and I skipped the G15 and gave my G12 away. I liked the P7700 better than the G15, but it was really a draw because the Canon had a real viewfinder.

Enter the P7800 and I can sum it up simply:

Nikon now has the best variable zoom enthusiast compact on the market. While it doesn't best every camera on every point, its overall score is the highest. The new EVF works great. It's sharp and allows for shooting in bright light. And it gives info in the DISPLAY! This bests Canon's dark and barren OVF easily while still retaining the orientable LCD display. Image detail in good light leads the pack. Above ISO 400 we start to vaulter, but that's no different from the rest of the class.

With a fast card I get RAW write speeds of 2 seconds or so and that's slow, but like most people I got used to that and also use JPEG in a lot of situations. Let's be honest here: This is still a small sensor camera and shooting RAW is not needed in a lot of situations where this would be used.

So what's left for the P7900? Faster RAW processing would make it about perfect. Enlarge the sensor and improve ISO range and we'd all be even happier.

I'm using the P7700 with an optical VF on top and it works fine, but I'm looking forward to a P7900 next fall. In the meantime there's no reason for most folks to choose a G15 or G16 these days.

Nikon is the new leader in this group.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G16 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix P7800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow