Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,682Gear list
Like?
Re: No certainty anywhere
In reply to cdherman, 8 months ago

cdherman wrote:

Boy, I never should have brought my daughter into this......

She definitely does not NEED a bigger lens, but she's shooting a lot of sports, so it would be nice.

And you think a slow super zoom will fit the bill?

If you talking a variety of sports from indoor to outdoor the the 50-500 is not the best option by a long way.

irrelevant of body your going to need something quick ergo f2.8 or f4.

And I would like a bigger lens too. Yes, by all means the old man would like one too.

You need to decide what you 'want' it for as given your previous buying pattern I suspect you an occasional shooter with limited interest in photography.

I am financially in a position to spend pretty much whatever makes sense.

Are you sure you can throw many $1000 at this.? I ask as your current body and lens indicate the opposite that you have no interest in top end photography, and trust me if you want to do 'sport' that $1500 wont even wet the sides.

That's the problem -- knowing what makes sense. There often a sweet spot, after which laws of diminishing returns start to kick in.

What makes sense to me is you purchase a high performance Prosumer compact

30 years ago or even 15, we sort of read in some magazines the opinions of writers and talked to our friends and made a leap of faith. Now with the internet, forums and websites, plus billions of individual reviews, it becomes baffling at times.....

There is plenty of information on shooting sport try putting sport photography in to google.

I struggle in particular with the debate between APS and full frame that seems to be out there. I'd hate to invest in an expensive lens for any mount, only to find it hamstrung in a few years.....

I'm not sure what you think the arguments about FF and aps-c are about .? but I don;t think they affect you at all given your 50-500 for sports option.!

Well, anyhow. For those of you who provided insightful commentary, I thank you greatly...

For some of the others, I'd point out that I am uneducated in this matter, but not stupid. Some of you may consider yourselves well educated about the topic, rightfully so. But you have also shown your stupid sides in your approach to educate me......

I wouldn't worry about it but when you express a preference for a lens 2 stops slower than that required and the query FF to gain a stop it's all a little confused and with a confused question you will get confused answers.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow