Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Kwick1
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Sold my E-M1, went back to a Canon 6D
8 months ago

Thought I'd share my thoughts on why I sold my E-M1 in case it's relevant to anyone considering a move.

This isn't meant to start a flame war, the E-M1 is a fine camera, it just wasn't right FOR ME.

Here's why:

1. I had really hoped to use standard 4/3rd's lenses on it, with only a slight downgrade of performance. What I found was that the AF really struggled, even in what I would consider rather easy AF situations (high contrast, using center point, etc). Quite often I'd have the 50mm f/2 macro rack itself all the way out and back when focusing (this was in a non-macro situation by the way - just a regular landscape. Nothing moving in the frame at all). Same with the 50-200 SWD. Yes, I was using the MMF-3 adapter. I tried various modes and settings combinations, but could never get it to work reliably, let alone quickly.

2. While the camera fit my hand much better than other micro fourthirds cams, I still found it too small for my large hands.

3. The "wondrous" 5 axis IBIS wasn't quite as wondrous as I had hoped. Static landscapes, 1/30th of a second and still getting lots of shake. Part of that could definitely be me, as I don't have the steadiest of hands (again, this is all about why the camera wasn't right FOR ME). I found that the heaviness of the 6D and L lenses helps settle that down.

4. This next one is hard to quantify: I didn't like the color signature. I could never get the colors just the way I wanted (yes, I was shooting RAW. I was surprised that LR 5.2 opened the files just fine). They always had a very "digital", flat feel to them. Every manufacturer renders things differently. I prefer the look of Canon files.

5. While this may be the very best M43 camera ever made, I still don't think it matches APS-C quality, let alone full frame. This is purely subjective, as every person has a bar of what they consider "good enough". Canon full frame with L glass meets my personal bar.

6.  The high ISO isn't anywhere near as good (to my eyes) as the 6D.  To me, the E-M1 started to struggle even at 1600.  Purely subjective, of course.

For reference, I bought what I considered to be the very best glass I could for the E-M1: Panasonic 12-35, Panasonic 35-100, Panasonic 25/1.4, Olympus 50mm f/2 macro, Olympus 50-200 SWD and the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95.

That's it. Again, I'll reiterate that the E-M1 is a fine camera, and I'm sure many of you will use it much better than I did.

-- hide signature --
 Kwick1's gear list:Kwick1's gear list
Sony RX1R Fujifilm XQ1 +2 more
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MarkNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow