Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,398Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts..
In reply to cdherman, 9 months ago

cdherman wrote:

I have an older Pentax K-x body which is obviously not very valuable now, and a couple APS-c cheap entry lenses in the 18-55 and 50-200 ranges.

But I also have a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro. I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

My daughter needs a bigger lens for her highschool yearbook work.

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward.

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly. Wondering if I should bail out before I make the next high dollar purchase.....

The only thing valuable I have left are the two prime lenses.....

I recognize that posting a doom and gloom question on a Pentax forum is subject to bias and I am NOT bashing Pentax. Just trying to be realistic. Was always a Pentax fan, but we cannot always be winners.....

Your honest thoughts.....

Do what you want - if you think another system is "better" for you, go for it. It's OK to put some subjectivity into our decisions.

However, from what I see you're far from reaching the limits of the Pentax K system. Old body, cheap/old lenses and now Bigma for a high school yearbook? (please think that over).

Regarding the Pentax "dwindling", probably you're talking about what happened in the last Hoya years; but it's Ricoh now, and you should read this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52348321

And we have the K-3, and relaunching lenses with HD coatings (think: investment), and 2 new flashes, the Limited Zoom should be announced anytime soon (and it looks great!)...

Yep, things are moving forward.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow