Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 5,381
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts..

cdherman wrote:

I have an older Pentax K-x body which is obviously not very valuable now, and a couple APS-c cheap entry lenses in the 18-55 and 50-200 ranges.

But I also have a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro. I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

My daughter needs a bigger lens for her highschool yearbook work.

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward.

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly. Wondering if I should bail out before I make the next high dollar purchase.....

The only thing valuable I have left are the two prime lenses.....

I recognize that posting a doom and gloom question on a Pentax forum is subject to bias and I am NOT bashing Pentax. Just trying to be realistic. Was always a Pentax fan, but we cannot always be winners.....

Your honest thoughts.....

Do what you want - if you think another system is "better" for you, go for it. It's OK to put some subjectivity into our decisions.

However, from what I see you're far from reaching the limits of the Pentax K system. Old body, cheap/old lenses and now Bigma for a high school yearbook? (please think that over).

Regarding the Pentax "dwindling", probably you're talking about what happened in the last Hoya years; but it's Ricoh now, and you should read this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52348321

And we have the K-3, and relaunching lenses with HD coatings (think: investment), and 2 new flashes, the Limited Zoom should be announced anytime soon (and it looks great!)...

Yep, things are moving forward.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited HD Pentax DA AF 1.4X AW Rear Converter +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow