Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796
Like?
I can't promise unbiased, but I think I'm being honest.
In reply to cdherman, 5 months ago

cdherman wrote:

I have an older Pentax K-x body which is obviously not very valuable now, and a couple APS-c cheap entry lenses in the 18-55 and 50-200 ranges.

But I also have a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro. I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

My daughter needs a bigger lens for her highschool yearbook work.

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward...

I bought a used Sigma 170-500mm for Pentax for $325 which is about all I'm willing to spend on a long lens for Pentax until I know that the AF is on equal terms with the competition. Really even after that I probably wouldn't spend more as I'm not much of a long lens shooter. I don't really like lugging the lenses around. It's nice to be able to pull the Cheapma out every once in a while when I know I will use it, but it would be a real waste of $1500 for me to have the Bigma based on the same use pattern. The nice thing about the 170-500mm is that it isn't all that heavy, and although the used price probably reflects its performance, I don't find it awful. I'm happy with it.

What I really want in a longer lens is probably the new DA 55-300mm WR. It's the size of the lens and WR that makes it attractive to me. I toyed with the idea of getting one of the newer 16mpix, m4/3, bodies with a 70-300mm for long focal lengths this past year, but with the K-3 providing the same crop ability with its 24mpix sensor, I think I would go that direction with the 55-300mm WR now. Pentax is slowly coming around to where I wanted it to be a couple of years ago, and now that is sort has gotten itself together, it seems like the I will be happy with the system for a while longer.

That's the only thing I can offer as "advice", which really isn't. It's just whether or not you are happy enough with the system to stick around. If getting the 50-500mm is the only solution though, I probably would switch mounts as the lens has OS no matter the mount, and you know the AF will probably be better with the better bodies in other mounts. I wouldn't want to buy this expensive a lens for Sony though as they change things within their bodies enough to cause issue with third party lenses. It fine as long as Sigma will support the lens, but I probably will keep my lenses a lot longer than Sigma will ever provide support for. I don't know how well Nikon and Canon are in this regard.

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow