Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,621
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax
In reply to cdherman, 5 months ago

cdherman wrote:

I have an older Pentax K-x body which is obviously not very valuable now, and a couple APS-c cheap entry lenses in the 18-55 and 50-200 ranges.

But I also have a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro. I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

My daughter needs a bigger lens for her highschool yearbook work.

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward.

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly. Wondering if I should bail out before I make the next high dollar purchase.....

The only thing valuable I have left are the two prime lenses.....

I recognize that posting a doom and gloom question on a Pentax forum is subject to bias and I am NOT bashing Pentax. Just trying to be realistic. Was always a Pentax fan, but we cannot always be winners.....

Your honest thoughts.....

I appreciate your approach, I'm biased, Pentax is great but not for everyone.

Will you find what you're looking for elsewhere, maybe but unlikely, all the cameras are quite capable, and there are more then enough lenses available for all systems. The only areas where there are any differences are in the extremes which don't apply to 99% of photographers whether they know it or not.

Pentax isn't dwindling slowly at all, its actually climbing, and is set for a banner year in 2014... Take all Pentax is doomed and any other negative talk on this forum with 10 tons of salt, don't buy into it, its fear-mongering and hysteria. There are truths out there but one has to weed through a ton of mis-information to get them.

So my advice is stick with it if you can, see what the next year has in store. but if you can't find something that works for you and enjoy it.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow