Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,053Gear list
Like?
Interesting!
In reply to Abrak, 11 months ago

Abrak wrote:

Grevture wrote:

- Third, one thing many people tend to forget when looking at sales numbers is they tend to only reflect numbers of sold cameras (camera bodies and/or camera kits). And here is another shortcoming so far of the mirrorless - they have not generated much of secondary sales of lenses and accessories, another area where DSLR shines. I have no numbers, but it seem a substantial part of the earnings of Canon and Nikon comes from selling lenses, flashes, battery grips etc.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

I actually there is pretty good data on lens shipments (also from CIPA) which basically supports what you say.

FF lens sales are up 18% in the first 9 months at 179bn yen. Smaller than full frame lens sales APS-c, DX, and mirrorless shipments are down 2% at 194bn yen. That makes a combined lens market of 370bn yen which is 5 times the size of the 72bn yen mirrorless digital camera market.

I'll say the boldface part is pretty telling. Also that the sales of FF lenses alone - 179bn yen - is 2.5 times the value of the entire MILC market. Anyone still wonder why Sony released the A7/A7r?

In the area where I live (Sweden), the overall numbers so far for 2013 tells MILC make up slightly over 25% of the overall ILC sales - so every forth sold interchangeable lens camera was a mirrorless. But, they did only make up just over 10% of the total value of ILC sold. And that was without counting any lens sales at all. Including that, MILC probably represent less then 5% of the sold value ...

Now Sweden has been a slow MILC market compared to the global average, but I think these numbers are pretty telling. It's not really Canon and Nikon who is in trouble ...

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CIPANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow