Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
replying from a smart phone is torture :(
In reply to Abrak, 9 months ago

Abrak wrote:

amalric wrote:

Profits and market share are separate. While I remember that all camera makers sales were down last year, mirrorless were less down by a fair amount, if I am not mistaken.

So there would be market saturation and the effects of the downturn, but mirrorless would still increase market share.

Again this is typical of Asia (Ex Oriente Lux) but it's heartening if the percentage of mirrorless is almost doubling in the Americas.

That corresponds to the Long Term plan of Olympus and probably Panny. They never expected short term profits. That's probably why we don't see American camera companies

Am.

Actually it is by no means certain that mirrorless is going to gain market share against DSLRs this year. For instance if DSLRs ship the same as they did in September for each of the next 3 months, then they would ship a total of 14m units down 13% on 2012. If mirrorless shipped the same 355k units in September for the next 3 months then mirrorless would be 3.2, down 19% on the 4.0m shipped in 2012.

I see nothing heartening in mirrorless sales to the US. Total shipments from 8 mirrorless manufacturers has been 271,000 units in the first 9 months - down 40% compared to last year. In value terms, mirrorless accounts for less than 5% of the total digital camera market in the US. I really dont know why they bother.

What if of those 4 million shipped in 2012 1 million were Nikon 1's and Canon EOS M's? Which is entirely possible/probable...

Also you need to take intoaccount the increase in the average selling price of mirrorless and the decreasing average selling price of DSLRs.

The USA is 16% of the world camera market and continuing to decline...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CIPANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow