Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,224Gear list
Like?
Re: LOL
In reply to howardroark, Nov 1, 2013

howardroark wrote:

mick232 wrote:

howardroark wrote:

You missed the point. Sit down again, you've failed.

I was talking about dominating a market, not who is a big player, who has invented something, who may still be milking cash cows but has a negative outlook.

Ford used to dominate the car market, but they still aren't doing too badly despite intense competition over a century later. And at what point does one go from being a "big player" to "dominating"? How many years does Canon have to lead in market share to dominate? Does the last ten years count as dominating? The reason I mentioned companies that hit the market first with a certain product segment is because I wonder if they have to be the only game in town to qualify as dominating. I have to wonder if going from dominating personal computers to enterprise systems means they were huge losers or they realized that in a mature market with tons of competition and cuttthroat pricing perhaps the razor thin profit margins made other markets more appealing. I'm pretty sure you don't have a stranglehold on the point, either.

Canon and Nikon may be boring to you, but they've got it where it counts. Not being boring hasn't made Sony Alpha cameras the number one selling camera line of all time. Fuji isn't so exciting that they are used by professionals everywhere. Explain to me how exciting people who are more interested in what's new than what's good has any meaning at all.

If any two companies have more than 50% of the market combined, they are dominant. If any four have more than 60% of the market, they are dominant in my opinion.

The problem with this is that they have huge retail power and we all know that power corrupts. There is a basic human tendency for dominant players not to compete on retail prices. If one puts their price up, the other will soon follow with a similar percentage. There is no incentive to cut prices across the board but only for stock control and visibility purposes short term.

The USA is brilliant at controlling dominant companies ever since the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 and its most famous cases being of United States v. Standard Oil Company 1911 and United States v International Harvester  1927.

Other geographical areas are not so hot on this and some countries are totally corrupt.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow