Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tone Row
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide prime to replace SAL35F18??
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 5 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for an upgrade from my SAL35F18. Nothing is wrong with it, but I just want to see if there's a better prime in the 28-35mm range for night time street shots.

I see the sigma 35mm f1.4, but that thing is almost double the price of my camera. The other option is the older sigma 30mm f1.4, though I'm not sure If I can still find it new. I wonder why sigma didn't make the new 30mm f1.4 for the A mount?

are there any other primes you guys can recommend? Thank You!

This is just my opinion, but if you're strictly talking about night time street shooting, sometimes faster lenses can make things worse rather than better. Unless you are going for a certain look, bright small objects like street lights and assorted neon can wreak havoc on a wide open large aperture lens.

In any event, you're not going to find anything better in that range than the 35/1.8 until you double the price of the 35/1.8 and even then things will be measured in increments. There is no lens double the price of the 35/1.8 that is also double the IQ.

Tone Row's gear list:Tone Row's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow