Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: LOL
In reply to mick232, Nov 1, 2013

mick232 wrote:

howardroark wrote:

You missed the point. Sit down again, you've failed.

I was talking about dominating a market, not who is a big player, who has invented something, who may still be milking cash cows but has a negative outlook.

Ford used to dominate the car market, but they still aren't doing too badly despite intense competition over a century later.  And at what point does one go from being a "big player" to "dominating"?  How many years does Canon have to lead in market share to dominate?  Does the last ten years count as dominating?  The reason I mentioned companies that hit the market first with a certain product segment is because I wonder if they have to be the only game in town to qualify as dominating.  I have to wonder if going from dominating personal computers to enterprise systems means they were huge losers or they realized that in a mature market with tons of competition and cuttthroat pricing perhaps the razor thin profit margins made other markets more appealing.  I'm pretty sure you don't have a stranglehold on the point, either.

Canon and Nikon may be boring to you, but they've got it where it counts.  Not being boring hasn't made Sony Alpha cameras the number one selling camera line of all time.  Fuji isn't so exciting that they are used by professionals everywhere.  Explain to me how exciting people who are more interested in what's new than what's good has any meaning at all.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow