DSLR future prediction by EOSHD from Andrew Reid

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,500Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR future prediction by EOSHD from Andrew Reid
In reply to howardroark, 9 months ago

howardroark wrote:

Technically superior in what way? They have EVFs with the same resolution as a pentaprism viewfinder? They focus as fast or faster? They have the lens and accessory support of cameras with mirrors? If you enjoy your camera then that is really wonderful. If you think you chose the technically superior technology then I'm afraid your standards are not the same as every other person on the planet. I have yet to see a technically superior camera that will take over the world.

I think you nailed it. The man's article was basically a bunch of disheveled thoughts, very badly strung together.

Yes, smartphones are killing P&S camera sales. OTOH, smartphones may actually be good for DSLR sales, because at some point, it's either smartphone camera, or DSLR upgrade. Little remains in-between.

Which gets us to the EVF: It's a solution in search of a problem. At one point, we were film photographers, and we all thought, "Gee, when a digital SLR costs $ThisMuch$ and I can get *this much* quality, then I won't need film anymore!  And very few of us fought this transition; film really was a problem in search of a solution, and digital was it.

The SLR is not a perfect design solution: Providing a 100% magnification adds size and cost, mechanical issues adversely affect focusing, and it can limit frame rate at high speed shooting. But the EVF does not necessarily solve all of those problems, and it creates new ones.

The problem I have with EVF is this: In photography, there is a delta between what you see and what you get, and that is where the art comes in. An EVF makes this problem worse, because color/contrast/brightness of the EVF are all changeable, so I can't tell what I'm really going to get. In other words, an OVF gives me a baseline to work from, but an EVF does not.

We may or may not see Canon SLR's move to EVF, but at the end of the day, it's not some big problem we're looking to solve. The problem we want to solve is how to create better photos, capture better action, and be more creative. We could all see that digital was going to replace film, maybe a decade before it happened. But I don't think serious photographers are convinced that EVF will replace OVF, nor that an EVF is a pathway to better photos.

Besides that, at the end of the day, what matters most is whether our lenses will work.

-- hide signature --

Gear matters not. Judge me by my gear, do you? Hmm?

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow