Help deciding between Nikon D7100 or Olympus O-MD E-M1?

Started Nov 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jaeger56
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Help deciding between Nikon D7100 or Olympus O-MD E-M1?
Nov 1, 2013

Hello all,

I need a little help/advice for some camera shopping that I'm doing. I have a little background with DSLR's as I worked with a Canon T3i awhile ago but had to sell it for financial reasons. Now I've got some money saved up and want to get back into photography. I'm going to start by saying that I am by no means an experienced or pro photographer but do it mainly for a fun hobby.

I'm trying to decide between getting a Nikon D7100 or an Olympus O-MD E-M1 as my new camera. Why the higher end bodies if I just shoot for fun? I like having all the controls I can along with having a camera I can grow my experience and knowledge with and I believe both of these models of being capable of just that.

Now money isn't an issue again as I mentioned as I realize the E-M1 is $200 more than the Nikon D7100. I'm just trying to get opinions on which camera may be best for me and why you'd think so? I mostly shoot landscapes with the occasional portraits. I also tend to lean towards wide angle zoom lenses. So the Nikon 16-85mm lens is what I'd probably get with the D7100 and I'd most likely get the 12-50mm for the E-M1. I do like the smaller form factor and weather-sealing of the Olympus E-M1 a lot but I also like the superb image quality of the D7100. So, any helpful information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow