Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,968Gear list
Like?
Re: No surprise
In reply to HappyVan, 9 months ago

HappyVan wrote:

Individual innovations cannot overcome the economics of superior market share.

As I keep saying, to displace DSLR (i.e. Canikon) the alternative must be smaller AND better AND cheaper.

Maybe first item is not really relevant as so many think. Actually, enthusiasts, not snapshooters, for whom the smartphone is enough, like to have controls of camera in their hand, which preclude too much size reduction. Interestingly, OMD series is not so small.  A newcomer, when presented with a smal ML option and an entry-level dslr, eith big lenses and all those controls, will think: " well, all that size must mean better quality".

Then comes brand name recognition, coming from perception of long-term commitment to and success in photographic gear. Nikon's compacts are not better than others, but people still identify them with the tradition of a photo company. Samsung is doing very well in smartphones, but that won't make  them successful in photography.

Pentax is a sad story, Oly likes the underdog aura, and their following likes that as well. Panny and Sony are electronics companies. Canon is the big guy with strong commitment to photography, Nikon the small guy but with very strong commitment to all thingshotogrhic.

As a personal note, I got my first Nikon at 51 (D80), and my choice was simple: support the guy that has been dedicated to it  and that looks like they are going to keep doing that. Coming from Leica, some change, butvI still feel the same, and the new FF coming, a classical looking DSLR with good manual controls and built to last, may well be my next camera.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow