Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: People actually believe: Any change = Always better.
In reply to howardroark, 10 months ago

howardroark wrote:

marike6 wrote:

What is so innovative about removing the mirror and pentaprism from camera and replacing it with crappy EVFs, something that video cameras have had for years?

Mirrorless fans love to talk about this removal of the OVF, one of the features that makes SLRs great, as some kind of impressive innovation when in actuality all they have done is replaced bright, crystal clear OVFs with significantly worse Electronic VFs a la camcorders all to make cameras a bit smaller. Smaller for who? In the 21st century, have hands gotten smaller and have people gotten weaker?

The first professional SLR system camera was the Nikon F, the first professional DSLR was the Nikon D1, and the first DSLR with video was the D90. And nobody except for Canon has come anywhere close to creating as complete an SLR system as Nikon. All this talk about innovation with mirrorless cameras is laughable in the context of all Canikon have achieved.

Throughout the history of photography well into the digital age, Canikon are two of the most successful companies often because of their huge innovations in cameras, optics, and flash technology.

Probably because if there is something new and they like it if they are psychotically supportive of it they feel like they know something others don't and that makes them special.

That is absolutely true.  I read m43 and Fujfilm forums among others and I cannot tell you how many times I read exactly that sentiment, that DSLRs owners don't know any better, that if they did they'd choose teeny tiny MILCs.

I was down at B&H in NYC on Monday, and almost everybody was carrying DSLRs and as usual the Nikon and Canon kiosks were where all the crowds were.  So perhaps, based on this anecdotal evidence, it's not that DSLRs owners don't know about mirrorless cameras or don't know any better. Perhaps it's that they do and prefer DSLRs.  I know I do, in spite of having used almost every brand of mirrorless there is.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow