Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,885
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to jidery, Nov 1, 2013

jidery wrote:

I shoot Sony, the only camera maker with SLT and one of the few with EVF. Then there is Pentax, one of the few SLR's with in body stabilization. On the smaller side you have Fuji, probably the best mirror less camera out there. Olympus and Panasonic are pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a small sensor.

Canon and Nikon are just boring compared to Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji. I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

Because photography existed before you bought a Sony?

Canon and Nikon established their dominance back in the 60's and 70's. Canon, especially, has led in various areas of innovation. Both companies took the time to develop substantial pro support networks, leading to a large number of pros choosing their systems. (So much so that at one time, Nikon's slogan was "The Choice of Professionals"

One a company can brag that X number of pros use their cameras, what follows is a mass of buyers purchasing that brand in order to make themselves think their camera is better than that made by a company that doesn't have as many pros using it. Then there is effective marketing. Also, the attitude of many hobbyists or enthusiasts can be rather elitist, so they will go with the system that is the most "pro oriented" in their opinion, even if their efforts could just as easily be satisfied with any company's entry level camera.

BTW, Canon and Nikon are not "boring" from a working photographer's point of view. They offer the most comprehensive and versatile systems, as well as some of the most consistent and their pro and higher tier bodies offer the consistently reliable performance in AF, exposure, WB, color rendition and functionality under a broad range of conditions and requirements. A lot of working photographers would rather have a camera that is going to survive 200K or more shutter actuations, or have access to a specialized lens, than be concerned about whether their camera has the latest sensor or EVF.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow