Started Nov 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
roundball
Contributing MemberPosts: 810
Like?
Interesting new discovery about Focus Peaking on my NEX-7
Nov 1, 2013

When I started out with my NEX-7 a couple months ago, there was a huge learning curve from my last days of serious attempts at photography back in film days with Canon A1's, etc and there were so many things to get set up on the NEX-7 just to use it that I took a suggestion to use mid level / red for focus peaking, it's worked great during July/August/September, and in light of all the other things to learn I basically left it and forgot about it.

Then in October, testing a couple more used Canon FD / MF lenses I picked up I noticed a few shots where the focus was soft and it finally came to me yesterday that I wasn't seeing the red focus peaking much with those shots...couldn't figure why a lens would cause that.
Then it hit me that it's usually been occurring when shooting October orange & red fall colors and maybe I just wasn't "seeing" the red focus peaking as sharp against the orange and red colored leaves...switched to "white" focus peaking yesterday and it's now again very obvious to my eye in those same lenses...so another lesson learned.

-- hide signature --

BUT.....here's the really new discovery that I noticed switching to white focus peaking.
When I get the subject dialed into a band of sharp focus as indicated by the appearance of all the white flecks, I also notice the whole general area of the band of focus all over the subject seemed to start 'shimmering' or 'quaking'.
And it wasn't just yesterday afternoon shooting some pretty fall colors with that particular light...I tested for it again this morning, same body & lens, f stop, etc...out in the front yard and that shimmering effect appeared again with the white focus peaking in spite of it being dull/cloudy/overcast.

I'm not complaining...and barring anything that comes up showing it to actually be a problem it seems to be beneficial in terms of easily / quickly seeing a broad band view of sharp focus.
Anyhow...I'm not sure why I'm seeing this and at the moment, can only assume its associated with switching to "white focus peaking" as it started immediately coincident with the switch.

Anyone else experience this?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow