Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?
Re: It's called marketing and store availability
In reply to Jason Elander, Nov 1, 2013

Jason Elander wrote:

I live in the Tampa area and I can't see a anything but Nikon, Canon, or a limited selection of Sony cameras to save my life. For someone just walking into a store Oly, Pana, Fuji, etc do not exist. Hard to sell your brand when you are invisible...

This comes down to the power and critical mass of the brands, as I said in the earlier post.

There comes a point where the brand or brands are so powerful they can dictate not only the selling price but also which lesser brands they will allow their franchise holders to stock and which not. This kills the chances of lesser brands.

Nothing to stop other businesses springing up to sell only the lower volume brands. Trouble is, they will struggle to sell product in sufficient volume and at sufficient margin to be viable as businesses. While I am not claiming any specific camera brand does so, it is also possible that if there was such local competition, the big brands might discount locally to such an extent and with the intension of killing off that competition. All's fair in love, war and business, so they say.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow