Mirrorless shipments surge....

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371
Like?
Re: Can I just say....
In reply to Olymore, 10 months ago

Olymore wrote:

I suspect it is down to the raft of new models from all the main players.

After the big releases that occurred in 2012 (E-M5, GH-3, G5, NEX 6, Fuji XE1, X100s, EOS-M etc) there was a pause and the number of new mirrorless releases dropped at the end of last year and the first half of this year.

This also happened around the time that new affordable FF dSLRs were released which boosted the dSLR market at that time (compared to mirrorless).

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

I think what you will find happened in mirrorless is roughly this. For 2012 manufacturers shipped 4.0m mirrorless and for the first 9 months of this year they have shipped 2.2m.

Mirrorless sales were strong throughout most of last year, aided of course by a whole slew of new product offerings. The manufacturers excited by the progress then shipped 1.1m units in October and November (remember they have only shipped 2.2m in the first 9m 2013) expecting a bumper xmas which didnt materialise. This led to a collapse in shipments in the new year as presumably retailers had far too much stock.

We are probably (or possibly) coming to the end of that - too early to tell. Shipments of 355k in September is a good start but even if shipments average 400k a month for the next 3 months, unit sales will still be down 15% this year.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CIPANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow