Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to alexisgreat, 10 months ago

alexisgreat wrote:

Meanwhile they stole the "innovations" of companies like Olympus (live view and sensor cleaning system, but they still haven't got pixel mapping or direct live histogram- so I wont buy them.)

Canikon stole LiveView? How ridiculous.  One of the first digital cameras with LiveView were Ricoh, Casio and Canon, in its G1.  Chipmakers started making chips that provided a live feed, it was not an "innovation" from Olympus.

Nikon made the D90, the very first SLR with video recording, do we go around saying that Olympus and all other vendors stole huge innovation of putting video on still cameras from Nikon? I don't know, but if you did, it would be more accurate than saying Nikon stole LiveView from Olympus, that is for sure.

The Nikon 1 is the very first mirrorless camera with on sensor PDAF.  Now that Olympus has finally gotten around to adding on sensor PDAF on its new EM-1, I guess you could say "Olympus stole the huge innovation of PDAF on sensor from Nikon".

Video on a still camera, a feature that is ubiquitous and on sensor PDAF are two innovations that can be directly attributed to Nikon.  LiveView pre-dates Olympus.  Sensor cleaning, if it actually worked it might be a good innovation.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow