amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,725
Like?
Re: focus breathing?
In reply to Tom Axford, 9 months ago

Tom Axford wrote:

zkz5 wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

The MFT manufacturers claim that their lenses are near telecentric and I see no reason to disbelieve them.

You can use this property to check for yourself whether or not your lenses are telecentric. Put your camera on a tripod and switch to manual focus. Then change from focus at infinity to focus at the closest point possible and see what happens to objects at the edge of the image frame. If they just go in and out of focus without changing position, then your lens is telecentric or nearly so.

So in otherwords, a telecentric lens has no "focus breathing"?

In that case there are definitely MFT lenses that are not telecentric. With the Oly 9-18, the image changes size (like zooming) quite a lot when it focuses.

Yes, the shorter the focal length, the harder it is to make the lens telecentric. Very long focal length lenses are naturally much nearer to being telecentric.

The 9-18 lens certainly isn't fully telecentric, but I suspect it may be closer to being telecentric than many older designs of FF lenses with focal lengths between 18 and 36mm.

Do you mean the 9-18 Micro version, or the 4/3 version? The latter has much better edges, therefore I assumed that it was more telecentric.

When mounted on m4/3 however the price to pay is that with adapter it becomes quite big.

Am.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow