Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap

Started Oct 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mellowmark
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap
In reply to Promit, Nov 1, 2013

Promit wrote:

"Most" are better served by learning how to get out of auto, to compose shots, etc. That aside, I think the best compromise for your average consumer is going to be an EVF/LCD LV type camera with PDAF on board. A few years ago that didn't even exist. Now we're seeing a few options. The OVF fans tend to forget that the advantages aren't relevant to how most people shoot most photos, and that the OVFs really only come into their own from the prosumer DSLRs. Most DSLR buyers are buying pentamirror DSLRs, and a modern EVF is going to be vastly better and more useful tool.

I get the sense that a lot of people around here grew up shooting film, and have a lot of access to high end gear. You're using a D800E, for god's sake. Your viewfinder and camera bear zero relevance to what a typical consumer needs or benefits from, and new DSLR buyers nowadays have no problem with LCD and EVF shooting. They're mostly stepping up from smartphones these days, after all. Coming from a 4.5" screen to compose pictures, a pentamirror OVF is uncomfortable unpleasant garbage which serves mostly to irritate.

That said, good luck trying to find high quality EVFs at the price of a D3100.

I like evfs and ovfs - having used both I can see the advantages and disadvantages of each. I can also understand someone not liking an evf - it is different.  But when I say evfs I mean a decent current one and when I say ovfs I mean a large, 100% view pentaprism one - I agree that most entry level dslr buyers would probably be better off with /prefer a decent modern evf rather than the ovfs offered on entry level Canon and Nikon cameras.

Mellowmark's gear list:Mellowmark's gear list
Sony RX100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow