Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
half-repulsed, half-amazed
In reply to jidery, 11 months ago

jidery wrote:

I shoot Sony, the only camera maker with SLT and one of the few with EVF. Then there is Pentax, one of the few SLR's with in body stabilization. On the smaller side you have Fuji, probably the best mirror less camera out there. Olympus and Panasonic are pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a small sensor.

Canon and Nikon are just boring compared to Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji. I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

Canon's & Nikon's biggest strengths are:

* existing DSLR users

* lens choices for its DSLRs

* optical viewfinders in its DSLRs (probably just as many see this as a weakness though)

* fantastic distribution / scale of manufacture (especially Canon)

* mirrorless adapters that make use of existing lens infrastructure

Their biggest weaknesses are:

* slimmer, sexier mirrorless cameras making their fat DSLR models look like dinosaurs

* rapid innovations from competitors, particularly those with no current DSLR legacy to worry about (even though Olympus played here recently, they have moved on).

* the need to eventually compete with their DSLR cameras by making more fully-featured mirrorless models. I think this is inevitable. I think we will see massive growth in smaller interchangeable lens cameras if given half a chance to be priced correctly and if the benefits are communicated to the masses correctly.

Canon & Nikon were both early innovators. While we still see innovation, you could argue that now their competitors are out-innovating them in areas they currently just sort of started playing in.

I love traditional DSLRs, but it's a love-hate thing. Some things done so much better on mirrorless. Size and weight perceptions are changing. Clunky mirror, etc. My use of mirrorless models makes this all too apparent. So I can see some of that 'boredom' for sure. I think the market will change a lot in coming years. Growing trend will be mirrorless (outside of Asia too).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow