Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Azzy
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
Pentax K-3 first impression quick pro and con
Oct 31, 2013

First of all I've been using Pentax since K10D --> K-X --> K-5 as my primary gear, so I'm quite familiar with Pentax ergonomics and performance.

I won't bore anyone with obvious spec i.e dual sd card, etc rather this is a hands on experience from someone who is familiar with Pentax system.

Pro:

1. First and foremost, processing speed and overall operation is MUCH faster than any of its predecessor, no more waiting around for buffer to clear before you can use the camera again. This alone is probably worth the upgrade for anyone who use burst mode a lot.
  2. Big improvement in AF menu and customization, zone mode, tracking lock, etc. This will need getting used to for everyone as the system has been completely re hauled
  3. Grip is much better than K-5, I never felt comfortable holding K-5 without grip and K-3 is the complete opposite.
  4. The new Zone metering and Zone AWB is great! Still need further testing but so far it seems like a major improvement
  5. Mode dial lock disabler!

Cons:

1. No more AF-C dial switch....I have no idea why pentax removed this, I thought it was unecessary
  2. Metering switch is now gone, replaced with button, I think this button should be located on where the EV button is
  3. Inconsistent mode change operation....some things you have to hold and use the scroll to change (metering mode, af mode) while others you just have to press and scroll (ISO, EV)
  4. Zooming in LV require pressing OK button and then zooming using the rear wheel, I prefer the old method pressing info button
  5. Still no in depth Auto ISO customization ala NIKON

High ISO seems to be as good as K5 or maybe a bit worse, further testing is still required.

So far most of my cons are mainly ergonomic based which probably just need getting used to.

Will test AF speed / accuracy during my next concert gig.

-- hide signature --

My website and portfolio: http://luwindo.com/

Pentax K10D Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow