Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,196
Like?
Innovative?
In reply to jidery, Oct 31, 2013

jidery wrote:

I shoot Sony, the only camera maker with SLT and one of the few with EVF. Then there is Pentax, one of the few SLR's with in body stabilization.

In-body stabilization is fine for mirrorless cameras. But it makes no sense in a DSLR, because IBIS in a DSLR only stabilizes the image sensor, leaving the autofocus and metering sensors to work with an unstabilized image; the longer the focal length the more twitchy and jittery and the harder for the sensors to get a good 'read' unless one is using a tripod and shooting landscapes perhaps. Canon and Nikon use optical IS in their DSLR's for a good reason - because it makes a lot of sense to stabilize not only the recorded image, but the viewfinder and what the sensors work with. If IBIS in a DSLR is 'innovation', well, you can have mine.

When I bought my first DSLR, at first I was unhappy after I realized I could have bought a different one with IBIS. That was until I realized that approach is not optimal on a DSLR.

As for SLT technology and EVF's vs OVF's, there are some (such as myself) who prefer the OVF. Again, those who want an EVF can buy a camera with one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow