Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,119Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to InterestedParty, 9 months ago

InterestedParty wrote:

jidery wrote:

Canon and Nikon are just boring compared to Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji. I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

Their huge selection of fabulous lenses?

For FF, but not for their crop formats. Sure, you can mount their FF on their crop cameras, but they have wrong FL, wrong size, wrong price, wrong sharpness distribution (not sharp enough in the middle for APS-C pixel density)... compromise every step of the way.

And even for FF - the "huge selection" shows its age and does not look so fabulous anymore. And the new ones, more appropriate for modern pixel densities, suddenly double in price.

The top of the value, "plastic fantastic", is suddenly f/4 and not f/1.8 if you want any semblance of sharpness appropriate for 12 mpix digital sensor (let alone 36 mpix) and not old grainy ISO 800 film.

Theoretically the lenses are there... but you can get the same sharpness (or rather lack of) with a point-and-shoot and a lot of noise reduction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow