Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Good cameras sell.
In reply to Ed B, 10 months ago

I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I've owned about every type of camera available, within the 35mm and digital category. Part of that might be due to my age and part might be due to the fact that I'm always looking for something better. I suppose it's a disease or some type of psychological problem.

I can honestly say that, in today's modern world of photography, it's hard to find a camera that's not excellent. Almost any brand or model will allow a person to take outstanding pictures and features are the only things that really distinguish one brand or model from another.

Size, ergonomics, OVF vs. EVF, touchscreens, menus, sensor size/type, etc. It's all a matter of personal preference, need and affordability.

Why are Canon and Nikon considered the most popular brands among both professionals and average consumers? Availability, pricing, selection, dependability, reputation and service. There simply aren't any negative aspects to buying one of their products.

Yes, other companies are also excellent and make great cameras but, in the world of photography, they don't have the brand recognition that Canon and Nikon have.

During the last year I've used a Fuji X-E1, more than any other camera. Is it the best camera in the world? Of course not. Is it better than a top-of-the-line Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony? Nope, not even close. Is it the best camera for me? Yes it is ( at least until something I like better comes along). Would I recommend it to everyone else? No way.

Well if it's not the best in the world, not as good as some Nikon, Canon, Pentax or Sony cameras and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Why is it the best camera for me?

I just like it! And, I can't think of a better reason for a person to buy whatever brand or model they choose.

That is exactly the reason the camera is important, personal needs and personal preferences.  In order for me to feel motivated and happy shooting I need something that doesn't hack me off whenever I use it.  I have no desire to suffer for me art and while I'd probably push through whatever obstacles I had to push through, my productivity and joy will increase with a camera that presents me with the fewest obstacles.

There is a certain level of image quality that I insist upon, but beyond that there are other things to consider.  For example, I can't afford an 80MP medium format back with a body and lens or lenses.  Would love to have that kit, but not until I'm rich and famous.

Nothing illustrates this better than camera phones.  As more people buy smartphones that include a camera the more we see the fruits of their labor.  Why haven't they been shooting tons of photographs and posting them before they go their phone?  Because in order for them to enjoy a camera it bascially has to be with them without consciously having to remember the camera as an individual, separate device, the camera has to be connected directly to the internet, and there usually has to be some novel way to use the camera or attract their interest like Facebook, Instagram, or just instantly texting anyone a photo of the dinner they are about to consume.  For them not having to think about photography is the most important part of photography.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow