Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,711Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to ultimitsu, 11 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

It puzzles me too. I think a lot of it is that people in general just do not know how great Sony and Pentax cameras are in comparison to Canon and Nikon at the same price points.

That isnt true. While weaker brands generally offer better value in camera bodies, they offer much poorer value in lenses. It holds true even among the cheapest lenses.

For example, Canon 18-55 STM has the best IQ of all 18-55 kit lenes from every maker (possible exception of fuji, but that is a much more expensive lens, $400 as a kit vs 100 as kit for everyone else).

Oly 14-42 II is just as good if not better and usually about $50 in kit.

Canon 55-250 has the best IQ of all 55-2xx kit lense of all makers. So even for the basic kit buyers, Canon still produces, ultimately, more than competitive IQ.

Oly 40-150R is just as good if not better and usually $99 together with a new camera ($149 without).

Weather-sealed and optically great Oly 12-40/2.8 is $1000 alone (MSRP), $800 in kit. What is the MSRP of not so good 17-55/2.8?

Weather-sealed and optically great Oly 60/2.8 macro is $500 MSRP, $400 sales price. What is the price of weather-sealed Canon 100/2.8L IS Macro giving stabilization and approx the same working distance on a Rebel (although, unlike the Oly, not able to fill the frame with 17mm-wide subject)? $1050.

Sure, there are many m43 lenses which are ridiculously overpriced. But for APS-C shooter, Canon/Nikon systems are not so good - you have to buy mostly FF lenses to fill the gaps and use them on barely 40% of their abilities while lugging all the weight - not exactly a great proposition. And make no mistake, you'll have to keep the same f-number to have the same noise, especially on Canon (Nikon might raise ISO about 1/3EV - not a biggie and no 1/3EV-slower lenses are available anyway).

FF OTOH is a totally different class in terms of prices, sizes, weights, attention required to keep anough DoF and corners sharp etc etc. No point to compare - if you need it, you need it and you will have to suffer - but most people don't, and progress of sensors gives more and more with less and less (hell, a lot of people are satisfied with smartphones with tiny 1/3.2" sensors, 1" sensor in RX100/RX10 is 10 times bigger and like from another planet in terms of quality).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow