Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to ultimitsu, Oct 31, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

jidery wrote:

I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

You are wrong if you think they lack innovation.

Innovation is not just what they launch over the last 12 month, it is what they have, collectively as a system, over their competitors. You should recognise that they both have huge amount of competitive edge over everyone else. That did not happen by magic, they were all innovations.

You seem to be redefining meaning of innovation.

For example, every lens that they have and their competitors dont, is an innovation at some point of time which their competitors still has not caught up. Both Nikon and Canon have complete line up of 200/2, 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4. You think they are easy to design and to manufacture?

Yes, pretty easy, nothing truly innovative in them. But so few people actually buy those, if you have small market share, the fixed costs of producing such lenses will never pay for themselves. People who buy Rebels (making up absolute bulk of DSLR purchases) don't buy those lenses either, so their availability makes absolutely no difference for them.

If Canon and Nikon had to rely only on 1Dx and D4, they would be smaller than Leica now, if not bankrupt altogether.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow