Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to jidery, Oct 31, 2013

jidery wrote:

I shoot Sony, the only camera maker with SLT and one of the few with EVF. Then there is Pentax, one of the few SLR's with in body stabilization. On the smaller side you have Fuji, probably the best mirror less camera out there. Olympus and Panasonic are pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a small sensor.

Canon and Nikon are just boring compared to Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji. I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

For historical reasons. In their time, they innovated pretty well, among the first, and provided modern high-quality (for the price) products. For example, as recently as 2009, Canon started selling 7D - probably still the best APS-C camera for sports shooters (maybe Pentax K-3 is better now - depends how good its AF tracking is).

Yeah, for the last 4 years they seem to be sleeping in money-saving mode. But maybe they secretly prepare a revolution behind closed doors. Some bits and pieces of information suggest they might.

Take the sensor in 70D with the 2nd generation of OSPDAF - full-sensor (not just a few pixels) and working this time. And it potentially can give depth information in every pixel - meaning you can dial in as much oof blur (which is in vogue for some reason, probably just as the only way to show off expensive equipment in good light) as you want.

Or their patents showing sensors with what looks like fiberoptic array on top - emulating curved sensors. If that works out, this gives potential for radically simpler, cheaper and smaller lenses.

New mirrorless system with 70D sensor with this array on top (and the set of small $100-$200 f/1.4 lenses) and faster processor to get all the depth information and AF beyond 1Dx would be SICK and leave all competitors bankrupt very quickly.

Another EOS M with 3 lenses and another "model name innovation" in their bread-and-butter Rebel line - and they might starting losing market share and eventually money (although cost base doing just this is very small).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow