Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
JMCO
Senior MemberPosts: 1,078
Like?
Bring back Bronica!
In reply to jidery, 11 months ago

Well, yes, we DO need more brands that are more equal and lead to more innovation. Sony is chipping away with innovation which will be good for all of the remaining camera makers.

The old school view (from late 80s to mid 2000s) was that only Canon and Nikon made good stuff. Despite Minolta being a very innovative, one of the oldest on the planet, and popular camera makers.

This brand worship has slid over a bit to the digital era because, people had nothing else to go on when looking. Uncle Jeb, who is a hobby photographer, uses Nikon. He says get a Nikon. OK.

Also because of the brand fanatics (which I think is unhealthy and strange) that now abound on the internet.

But the cliche is true. The best camera is the one you have on you to take the picture. With that in mind, I have used virtually every brand out there. Nikon (my first camera EM to fav FM), Canon (love my G10), Pentax (SLRs and P&S), Minolta/Sony (KM and Alpha plus lenses), Leica (1930s I stupidly sold decades ago for a few hundred), Bronica, Mamiya, Rolleiflex, Fuji (lenses and cameras), Agfa (1920s 4 x 5), Apple (they made one of the first digital cameras not an iPhone!), Chinon, Yashica, Minox, Schneider (lenses), Kodak, Zeiss (lenses), Polaroid, Contax, Samsung (first digital P&S), Vivitar, Pinholes, and more I can't remember. Never a Hasselblad though…

Guess what? They were all great! I can also say that, today, all the remaining brands are all great too!

Pixel counters and lens peepers will say one is better than another and, be right. But, that's for pros and fanatics. For 95% of the human population, a Pentax or a Nikon or a Olympus or Sony or Canon or Fuji or iPhone or other brand you recognize, is going to be great!

If every person on the planet wanted a Porsche or Ferrari or Lexus, sure - go get the top lenses and body and blow a ton of money. If you make over 150 USD a year and loved photography, you could. But if you want a Honda or Ford or Hyundai or a thing to drive you around photographically, there are virtually no bad choices now and performance begins to exceed the costlier brands. Like with the innovative Sony A7r. Considerably cheaper than a Leica but at least equal or better in performance by low or high measures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow