Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,070
Like?
Re: Good cameras sell.
In reply to howardroark, Oct 31, 2013

howardroark wrote:

jidery wrote:

I shoot Sony, the only camera maker with SLT and one of the few with EVF. Then there is Pentax, one of the few SLR's with in body stabilization. On the smaller side you have Fuji, probably the best mirror less camera out there. Olympus and Panasonic are pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a small sensor.

Canon and Nikon are just boring compared to Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji. I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

SLT is fine is you have to have an EVF. Why do I personally need an EVF? I don't need it and I don't really want it. Why do I need "mirrorless"? I don't. Why do I need someone to tell me what is and is not innovation? You know what I need? I need what I need and not what you need. Sorry, but there is a center to the world and you're not it, pal.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I've owned about every type of camera available, within the 35mm and digital category. Part of that might be due to my age and part might be due to the fact that I'm always looking for something better. I suppose it's a disease or some type of psychological problem.

I can honestly say that, in today's modern world of photography, it's hard to find a camera that's not excellent. Almost any brand or model will allow a person to take outstanding pictures and features are the only things that really distinguish one brand or model from another.

Size, ergonomics, OVF vs. EVF, touchscreens, menus, sensor size/type, etc. It's all a matter of personal preference, need and affordability.

Why are Canon and Nikon considered the most popular brands among both professionals and average consumers? Availability, pricing, selection, dependability, reputation and service. There simply aren't any negative aspects to buying one of their products.

Yes, other companies are also excellent and make great cameras but, in the world of photography, they don't have the brand recognition that Canon and Nikon have.

During the last year I've used a Fuji X-E1, more than any other camera. Is it the best camera in the world? Of course not. Is it better than a top-of-the-line Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony? Nope, not even close. Is it the best camera for me? Yes it is ( at least until something I like better comes along). Would I recommend it to everyone else? No way.

Well if it's not the best in the world, not as good as some Nikon, Canon, Pentax or Sony cameras and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Why is it the best camera for me?

I just like it! And, I can't think of a better reason for a person to buy whatever brand or model they choose.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow