Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Topp
Regular MemberPosts: 425Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to jidery, Oct 31, 2013

As many have already pointed out, the OP does take a short view of things.  To fill in the blanks a bit, Sony has been innovative for years, but those innovations have often fallen flat.  To cite just a few: 1) Reversible reel-to-reel tape machine (ca 1972): Sony rotates the entire tape head instead of just putting in two extra heads- system fails to align or complete its rotation all-too-often, and reversal is slow, slow, slow. 2) Beta-max video recorders- great technology, but poor marketing by holding too tight to proprietary approach; blown away by inferior, but much more affordable VHS.  3) digital cameras beyond the Mavica (which was simply caught in a tough time of technological transition): Sony opted for proprietary flash memory instead of the dominant CF systems- cameras were pretty good, but the memory thing was a dead-end for anyone who shopped around. 4) apparent dead-ends with recent interchangeable lens models, both DSLRs and non.   Beating your way through the woods with a machete may offer the satisfaction of trail-blazing, but it doesn't make much sense when you're running parallel to a paved highway a few feet away.

For what it's worth, I shoot two Nikons, an EM-5 and soon (hopefully) an EM-1.  They all have a place for me.  At present, the EM-5 can't come close to the AF speed and accuracy of the D300 and D700, but it is still a pleasure to carry, and image quality is quite competitive for what I shoot.  With practice and improved technique, I have been able to use the EM-5 in most of the places I use my D700, but will always expect more OOF shots, especially in low light.  I have hopes for improved AF with the EM-1, but won't junk the Nikons until they wear out completely, probably a long time coming.

What I really don't understand is the rabid fandom that blinds people to the usefulness of multiple shooting platforms.

-- hide signature --

Bob Topp

Bob Topp's gear list:Bob Topp's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow