Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
josha
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
How Fuji Held My X100S Hostage
10 months ago

I wanted to share my experience with Fuji repair as a warning to other owners and as something to think about for potential owners.

In April, I purchased an X100S off eBay. It quickly became one of my favorite cameras, and I loved its quiet unobtrusiveness, amazing flash metering, and beautiful image quality. I took it with me on press trips to NYC, Germany, and the UK and a holiday to Paris. I didn’t regret it once and got some great shots, like this Eiffel Tower shot. But after this experience, I wouldn’t recommend Fuji to anyone.

Late May, the power switch and focus ring stated acting wonky. Sometimes they’d be perfectly smooth, and sometimes they’d barely move. Sometimes it would take all my strength to turn the camera on, for example, and I was afraid of breaking the switch. The problem was intermittent, and otherwise the camera worked just fine.

After my travels ended in mid-July, I called Fuji. They said to send it in, and I’d have it back within two weeks no problem since it’s under warranty. Three weeks after they received it, the website still said “In repair,” and I called them. I got a bit of a run-around: “Oh, you need to talk to Steve.” And Steve kept not being at his desk when I called (and sat through their phone system, waiting 10+ minutes each time).

I finally reached someone, Bob, and he said there was a “sticky, non-corrosive liquid” on my camera. You’ll just have to take my word I never spilled on it. Maybe the person I bought it from did, but it worked fine for over a month. This seemed weird to me, and it didn’t explain why sometimes it worked fine and sometimes it didn’t.

What was really suspicious was: 1. The rep said he couldn’t take pictures to show me this damage 2. Even though he claimed he could see it, he couldn’t just wipe it off 3. No, he wouldn’t send me my camera back in the same condition they’d received it in. My only option was to pay $1,200 for a replacement. He “kindly” gave me a $200 discount, but they still wouldn’t send my original one back.

It really sounded like Fuji lost my camera and was trying to cover it up!

I grumbled and gave them my card number. A week later I had an X100S back (late August). The charge never showed up on my card, and I figured Fuji had indeed lost my camera and was admitting it silently by not charging me for a replacement. Yet now, almost two months later, the charge just showed up on my card. While I still love the camera, I felt the need to share this horror story, as I cannot recommend Fuji anymore.

Fireworks behind the Eiffel Tower on La Fete Nationale (Bastille Day)

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow