Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,446
Like?
Look at the amazon lens sales chart...
In reply to ultimitsu, 9 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

It puzzles me too. I think a lot of it is that people in general just do not know how great Sony and Pentax cameras are in comparison to Canon and Nikon at the same price points.

That isnt true. While weaker brands generally offer better value in camera bodies, they offer much poorer value in lenses. It holds true even among the cheapest lenses.

For example, Canon 18-55 STM has the best IQ of all 18-55 kit lenes from every maker (possible exception of fuji, but that is a much more expensive lens, $400 as a kit vs 100 as kit for everyone else). Canon 55-250 has the best IQ of all 55-2xx kit lense of all makers. So even for the basic kit buyers, Canon still produces, ultimately, more than competitive IQ.

The importance of these kinds of lenses always seems to be underestimated, you look at the amazon lens sales chart and its almost entire kit zooms, cheap tele zooms and cheap primes.

Personally I'd say that if Canon can get its mirrorless bodies sorted out then they are likely to shake up that market as well by offering the same kind of value whilst sony offer crappy kit options and overpriced high end options.

Canon kit lens - beats Sony's for performance.

Canon 35mm equivalent prime - 1 stop faster and cheaper than Sony's

Canon ultrawide zoom - Half the price of Sony's.

And established market share is hard to displace.

That isnt really true, especially this day and age, Kodak, Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry all had very strong marketshare and all pretty much lost it all over very short period of time. Especially blackberry. I remember as recent as 2006 every exec I know had a blackberry. In less than 3 years iPhone took over completely.

Indeed, of course users get tied into the lens system but other the past decade I'm guessing the vast majority of new large sensor camera buyers aren't tied into any system.

The reason Canon and Nikon has been able to stay in their dominating position is that they constantly maintain their competitive edge. Canon updated its entire super telephoto prime lens line (twice) even when no one else except Nikon has them. Canon also upgraded its pro AF recently with 1DX and 5D3, despite that the only competitor that comes close is Nikon.

Perhaps its a little harsh but to me the way AF performance seems to be overlooked by certain people seems like it might reflect on them. This isn't performance its easy to get from a test chart or an online review to boast over, its performance you see by actually using the camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow