Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to jidery, Oct 31, 2013

jidery wrote:

I shoot Sony, the only camera maker with SLT and one of the few with EVF. Then there is Pentax, one of the few SLR's with in body stabilization. On the smaller side you have Fuji, probably the best mirror less camera out there. Olympus and Panasonic are pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a small sensor.

Canon and Nikon are just boring compared to Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji. I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

The IQ, usability, accessories etc that the cheaper nikons/canons provide is simple unmatched by mirrorless at that pricepoint. You can build a very capable system within 1000$ using a cheap Nikon/canon body, but 1000$ buys hardly anything in other brands, esp Olympus and Fuji. Even if it does, there is no roadmap for future growth.

Many Nikon buyers start out with low end bodies and lenses and then gradually swap out for higher end bodies as they learn. Other camera makers dont have this maturity and stability in technology. Every day they are coming out with something new and you really have no idea whether the mount/lenses/flashes etc that you buy today are going to be supported in couple of years.

Then come the overpriced accessories in the non canikon world. You need all kinds of stupid adapters with other brands, but with Nikon you dont, coz every type of lens needed is already present in F-mount with full autofocus and metering support which you cannot say for other brands. No only that, many lenses are simple not present in other mounts.

Canon/Nikon are boring bcoz they have mature technologies which are well supported and they dont need to fix what isnt broken. They have all kinds of lenses, flashes, accessories at a reasonable price, have third party support. They have bodies with same IQ but different capabilities for different needs, so users can pick and choose what exactly they want without compromising on the lens/flash/software compatibility.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow