Received my E M1 with 12-40 mm today Locked

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
gotompoes Regular Member • Posts: 465
Received my E M1 with 12-40 mm today

I am now the happy owner of an E M 1 and the 12-40 mm zoom. Digging through the menu now and did some comparisons between the 12-40 mm zoom and the 12 mm, 17 mm 1.8 and the 25 mm Panasonic Leica.
The 12-40 zoom performed at 17 mm better then the 17 mm prime at all available apertures.
Also at 12 mm the 12-40 mm zoom performed very well against the 12 mm prime, slightly preferred the zoom lens. The 12-40 mm zoom did not beat the 25 mm Panasonic Leica but i was very happy with the results. 
I was not so happy with the systematic deterioration of the sharpness below shutter speeds of 1/200 sec. 
Repeated the tests three times and each time i came to the same conclusion. Whether this is shutter shock or shaky hands is unknown to me. Don't think it is a shaky hand because i did not see this at low shutter speeds such as 1/25 sec.
The deterioration was not dramatic but visible at 100 % magnification.
Very impressed with the lens and like the rendering, contrast and colors. I tried the Leica X Vario and i am of the opinion that the Olympus 12-40 mm is a much better lens.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica Q Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Leica X Vario
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
XMN
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow