Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Received my E M1 with 12-40 mm today
11 months ago

I am now the happy owner of an E M 1 and the 12-40 mm zoom. Digging through the menu now and did some comparisons between the 12-40 mm zoom and the 12 mm, 17 mm 1.8 and the 25 mm Panasonic Leica.
The 12-40 zoom performed at 17 mm better then the 17 mm prime at all available apertures.
Also at 12 mm the 12-40 mm zoom performed very well against the 12 mm prime, slightly preferred the zoom lens. The 12-40 mm zoom did not beat the 25 mm Panasonic Leica but i was very happy with the results. 
I was not so happy with the systematic deterioration of the sharpness below shutter speeds of 1/200 sec. 
Repeated the tests three times and each time i came to the same conclusion. Whether this is shutter shock or shaky hands is unknown to me. Don't think it is a shaky hand because i did not see this at low shutter speeds such as 1/25 sec.
The deterioration was not dramatic but visible at 100 % magnification.
Very impressed with the lens and like the rendering, contrast and colors. I tried the Leica X Vario and i am of the opinion that the Olympus 12-40 mm is a much better lens.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Leica X Vario
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow