Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
PenPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to jidery, Oct 31, 2013

Think back to the early days of digital photography. It was a fresh start for all the players and any one of them could have become #1. The early adopters of D-SLR cameras were not soccer moms or dads.  They were professionals willing to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a camera system, and they wanted the best.  As a consumer, wouldn't you want the best also? All that technology trickles down so you can have a piece of it too.

If Pentax and Konica/Minolta(R.I.P.) had put out products that were superior to Canon or Nikon, don't you think photographers would have flocked to those systems?  But they didn't.  The Big Two have been leaders and VERY innovative and that's why they are number 1 and 2 today.

Nikon and Canon's apparent "lack" of innovation is also their strength. How many years has it been since Canon came out with the EF mount and I'm sure many people here are still using their Nikkor F lenses on D800s. They have consistency in their products and that means a lot to anyone who has invested thousands of dollars on equipment.

In comparison, look at Sony. They have 4 different lens mounts, 2 different flash mounts. I commend them for trying something different, but I'm also scared of buying their products because it is not transferable to… well anything else.

I did buy a Fuji X-E1 because I love the feel of the camera and quality of the images, however I had to consider the possibility that it may end up being a dead system in 5 years. If I wanted to play it safe, I would have stayed with Nikon or Canon.

BTW, I did have a Sony Nex-5 and it was a great camera. But the lack of support for the system killed it for me. My non-photographer brother is using it for a travel camera and loves it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow