Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,584
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to jidery, 11 months ago

jidery wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

That isnt true. While weaker brands generally offer better value in camera bodies, they offer much poorer value in lenses. It holds true even among the cheapest lenses.

For example, Canon 18-55 STM has the best IQ of all 18-55 kit lenes from every maker (possible exception of fuji, but that is a much more expensive lens, $400 as a kit vs 100 as kit for everyone else). Canon 55-250 has the best IQ of all 55-2xx kit lense of all makers. So even for the basic kit buyers, Canon still produces, ultimately, more than competitive IQ.

Yet Canon and Nikon still force their users to pay extra for lenses with IS. Meanwhile, IBS is just as good if not better on most other brands.

I agree with you to the extent that I see no good reason why Canon and Nikon shouldnt have IBIS in their lens (except if they have no access to these patents),

But two points should be made:

1, CanNikon IS lenses are generally not more expensive than competition. For example the 18-55 and 55-2xx, they are the same price or cheaper as everyone else's.

2, IBIS is not as good as ILIS. It has never been. ILIS also has an added benefit of stablising the view from OVF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow