Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started Oct 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,853
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Oct 31, 2013

OpticsEngineer wrote:

It puzzles me too. I think a lot of it is that people in general just do not know how great Sony and Pentax cameras are in comparison to Canon and Nikon at the same price points.

That isnt true. While weaker brands generally offer better value in camera bodies, they offer much poorer value in lenses. It holds true even among the cheapest lenses.

For example, Canon 18-55 STM has the best IQ of all 18-55 kit lenes from every maker (possible exception of fuji, but that is a much more expensive lens, $400 as a kit vs 100 as kit for everyone else). Canon 55-250 has the best IQ of all 55-2xx kit lense of all makers. So even for the basic kit buyers, Canon still produces, ultimately, more than competitive IQ.

And established market share is hard to displace.

That isnt really true, especially this day and age, Kodak, Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry all had very strong marketshare and all pretty much lost it all over very short period of time. Especially blackberry. I remember as recent as 2006 every exec I know had a blackberry. In less than 3 years iPhone took over completely.

The reason Canon and Nikon has been able to stay in their dominating position is that they constantly maintain their competitive edge. Canon updated its entire super telephoto prime lens line (twice) even when no one else except Nikon has them. Canon also upgraded its pro AF recently with 1DX and 5D3, despite that the only competitor that comes close is Nikon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow