Telecentricity in Micro Four Thirds.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Telecentricity in Micro Four Third
In reply to Tom Axford, 9 months ago

Tom Axford wrote:

The MFT manufacturers claim that their lenses are near telecentric and I see no reason to disbelieve them.

In discussing this it is important to understand what telecentric means.

For a telecentric lens the principal light rays forming the image are parallel to the optic axis (a line through the centre of the lens) when they leave the back of the lens, even at the edges of the image. See this article for a fuller explanation.

It has nothing whatever to do with the distance between the back of the lens and the sensor. But the back element of the lens must be at least as large as the sensor itself for a fully telecentric lens.

m4/3 sensor has 21.6 mm diagonal. From my lenses Oly 75mm F1.8 probably has the largest rear element diameter and it's slightly less than that, no more than 21mm. I don't have F2.8 zooms though.

Other lenses have smaller rear element - Pana 20mm - 18mm diameter, kit lenses even smaller and Samyang fisheye has a tiny rear element.

Judged by that it's hard to find truly telecentric m4/3 lens.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow