Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap
In reply to Lance B, 9 months ago

Lance B wrote:

As for your comment, Lance -- I think it's just factually incorrect. Most stores have absolutely minimal stocks of mirrorless cameras and the sales people pretty consistently steer people away from them in favor of your standard Rebels and D5200s.

Well, I tend to disagree. Maybe in the town where you come from, but not what I have seen and been told.

I would bet that you're in the minority there but we're both just sharing anecdotes.

The simple fact of the matter is that the people shooting mirrorless usually have to go out of their way to find and purchase these cameras.

Personally I refuse to buy any OVF cameras. They aren't suitable for the type of work I do. Think about that.

That's fine for you but I still believe that most are better served by OVF at this juncture. However, if the technology improves enough then maybe they will be a formative alternative.

"Most" are better served by learning how to get out of auto, to compose shots, etc. That aside, I think the best compromise for your average consumer is going to be an EVF/LCD LV type camera with PDAF on board. A few years ago that didn't even exist. Now we're seeing a few options. The OVF fans tend to forget that the advantages aren't relevant to how most people shoot most photos, and that the OVFs really only come into their own from the prosumer DSLRs. Most DSLR buyers are buying pentamirror DSLRs, and a modern EVF is going to be vastly better and more useful tool.

I get the sense that a lot of people around here grew up shooting film, and have a lot of access to high end gear. You're using a D800E, for god's sake. Your viewfinder and camera bear zero relevance to what a typical consumer needs or benefits from, and new DSLR buyers nowadays have no problem with LCD and EVF shooting. They're mostly stepping up from smartphones these days, after all. Coming from a 4.5" screen to compose pictures, a pentamirror OVF is uncomfortable unpleasant garbage which serves mostly to irritate.

That said, good luck trying to find high quality EVFs at the price of a D3100.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow