Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to jidery, 9 months ago

I figure at the end of the day it's really down to two things. One, Nikon and Canon have the strongest, longest running, most established, complete lines of products, accessories, and support for photographers. That includes not just bodies and lenses but flashes, tethering, the professional services etc. All of it. Two, since nearly every pro has shot Canikon for decades, all the semi pros and wannabes do too. And the consumers hear that those companies have the best and it's what their friends have and it's what professionals use.

It doesn't really enter into the equation that a Rebel has very little to do with the 1D showing a bright white lens at a sporting event. They're both Canon, and that's what drives it. This is the concept of a halo product. Nobody really buys the big high end cameras and lenses, relatively speaking. It's just a handful of pros. But they drive enormous visibility to the brand.

It may be a bit of a shock to the enthusiasts here but the vast majority of camera purchasing decisions have nothing to do with technical specs, sensors, available lenses, etc. More people tend to simply choose what their friends are using.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow