Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jidery
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon and Nikon dominate the photo world, but I don't understand why.
In reply to GeraldW, 6 months ago

GeraldW wrote:

jidery wrote:

I shoot Sony, the only camera maker with SLT and one of the few with EVF. Then there is Pentax, one of the few SLR's with in body stabilization. On the smaller side you have Fuji, probably the best mirror less camera out there. Olympus and Panasonic are pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a small sensor.

Canon and Nikon are just boring compared to Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and Fuji. I don't understand why Canon and Nikon dominate with their lack of innovation.

I thought Sony was innovative with the SLT and bought an A57 and a couple of lenses. It was clever, and OK to shoot with; but I really didn't like the menu and some of the "cutesy" features, and eventually sold it. Canon and Nikon dominate because their pro level gear is superior and well supported. Canon and Nikon are the leaders because of name recognition and the image of themselves that they have created in the buyer's minds.

I do want to refute your comment that Pentax is "one of the few" with IBIS. Add Sony/Minolta, Olympus, and now Panasonic to that list.. Canon, Nikon and Panasonic use in-lens IS, as does Sony's NEX lenses

In the end, it's not who's cameras are the most innovative; but those that have recognizable brands;and also those that win the battle for "shelf space". People that post here, are mostly photo enthusiasts, like you and me. But we are a tiny minority of picture takers. The vast majority are brand conscious, and Canon and Nikon are the ones they see in TV shows, in pro's hands at sports, and in ads in magazines like National Geographic. Where do you see Sony, olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, and Pentax advertised? Right, in camera magazines where the readers already know about them - they are "preaching to the choir".

-- hide signature --

Jerry

I completely agree with you. Most of these users out there go to buy a T3i or a D3200 and just leave it on auto with the kit lens. For those users, a mirror less camera would be much better. Yet they continue with the mentality of "bigger is better" and "only canon and nikon". My first camera was a NEX, and I would gladly recommend it to anyone who is going to use their camera like a point and shoot.

jidery's gear list:jidery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 A3000 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow