Started Oct 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
pcm81
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?
Re: Something I will never understand on gear forums
In reply to sgoldswo, Oct 30, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

pcm81 wrote:

It is interesting to see how the opinions of EVFs are clearly split based on intended use of the camera:

1. Amateurs and hobbyists love EVF, because it allows smaller form factor of the camera gear and simplifies the shooting, by letting them see exactly what they are getting.

2. Pros find mirror-less "advantages" useless and mirror-less capabilities lacking. Who cares what white balance is set in the camera; as long as exposure is correct color checker passport will take care of the colors from raw conversion. But if you can't focus fast enough; that is a problem.

I consider myself an amateur by the way, but i'll stick with my d800 for now; although have no problems using my cellphone if that is all i have to take picture with...

-- hide signature --

1. D800 is the first camera with resolution so high that it simply does not matter.
2. Most people who do not own/shoot d800 missunderstand it. Color depth and accuracy in addition to resolution is what makes d800 great. Resolution alone is over rated.

But this is a pointless distinction. You can want an EVF and a DSLR, or to put it another way, an OVF/EVF hybrid, whether you are a profession or an amateur.

It's absolutely daft to say that something that simplifies and reduces the time taken processing a picture (even in RAW) is solely for amateurs. It's just another piece of automation. Sure, it could get in the way of taking great pictures or it could help. It would depend on the circumstances.

I think it would also be daft to unilaterally claim OVFs were rubbish (as many do) equally as much as it is daft to claim all EVFs are rubbish. Each is simply a tool to taking pictures, like a histogram, auto-iso, an in camera meter etc, etc. What is less divisive is to say that as an addition to an OVF DSLR a hybrid VF would have its uses. It would enable people to switch to the VF view that was appropriate to the shooting conditions - a crazy idea, I know!

PS

A hybrid VF doesn't necessarily make the camera smaller by the way. The large part of the difference in size and weight of the X-Pro1 and X-E1 is made up by the hybrid finder in the X-Pro1.

PPS

As an aside, some mirrorless focus faster than DSLRs (including the E-M1 mentioned here).

I think you missed my point. Discussing DSLR vs Mirror-less cameras is like debating if bus is better than convertible. If you like wind in your hair, convertible is the right car for you. If you need to transport 40 people from point A to point B as fast and easily as possible; bus is the better choice.

If you want small and simple camera that just works; go mirror less. If you want more advanced features you need to get dslr; simply b/c you cant pack all these extra features into a body as small as we would expect from mirror less.

-- hide signature --

1. D800 is the first camera with resolution so high that it simply does not matter.
2. Most people who do not own/shoot d800 missunderstand it. Color depth and accuracy in addition to resolution is what makes d800 great. Resolution alone is over rated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow