Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,716
Like?
Anticlimactic K-3
11 months ago

Well i know people want to know my opinion of the K-3 but i cannot offer it... It would appear that mine is front focusing beyond what is correctable in the camera on a number of lenses. I couldn't quite figure out initially why things didn't look as sharp as they should but after doing some real testing i figured it.

EDIT!!!!! this may only be a Sigma lens issue, at least my F 100mm F2.8 Macro seems to focus fine!!!

Things i can say is it seems a bit more cumbersome to switch between AF modes and Metering modes, sure you can press an awkward button and move dials but i find it easier to go into the info screen and have it already at the AF squares ready to be changed. Metering you still must press the button. this shouldn't be an issue for most shooting as you tend to stay in a specific mode for a specific subject.

CDAF is a mixed bag, dreadfully slow in low light, sometimes slow, sometimes fast in better light, seems slower then the K-5 but it needs more testing.

Like the K-5 series the screen is bright in daylight and therefore like the K-5 series i tend to want to underexpose from what i see on the screen but the histogram shows despite it looking bright its properly exposed.

The dual locking mechanism on the mode dial was a waste of space, they could've just left the metering modes where they were, it worked better that way, now switching metering modes is slow and awkward.

This is the first time for me that the ergonomics on a Pentax top level camera have just flopped, sure a lot of it is still good but some of it seems stupid and bass ackwards.

Keep in mind these are my opinions with only about 1 hour of playing with the camera

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow