Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap
In reply to Tommot1965, 11 months ago

Tommot1965 wrote:

Interesting in you what you say in this post..and based on that I will return to the shop today and get try and get a grip on the camera setup..as your experience with the camera seems so different from mine...what setting should I set for optimum performance, as I must admit perhaps I could have done a better Job

but, and now its a but !, the VF blackout time was huge..I was shooting Jpeg to a 20MBs sd card in a shop lit with fluro tubes, I can't remember the exposure times and I've since reformatted that card

so today I will go and try to do the camera test with perhaps a better setup ...as I was surprised at the lack of performance in the key areas that I deem necessities in the studio

what's the anti shock feature ?..trust me I wanted to like this camera..the connectivity and small form factor have a lot going for it

sgoldswo wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

what I mean is because of the Lag in low light and the VF blackout( which I thought was quite a bit) using the Mirrorless camera I tried today ( EM1) would be almost useless in a dim lit studio doing commercial work with a model..you could get away doing product photography..but not anything that required ebb and flow between you and the model..it was just too darn slow...

Id take on on holiday...or the pub...but that about it..and after all the Mirrorless / DSLR debates and the so called demise of the DSLR ..I just can't see how a pro will work with these new cameras unless they improve that weakness by a factor of ten ( or more )

John Gellings wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

if your serious about you hobby/profession then the Mirrorless is just a toy\

i.e. if the OP doesn't like them, they cannot possibly work for anyone. Photography is about framing and content... not camera wars. Most mirrorless cameras provide more resolution than 35mm film... yet, nobody complained about 35mm film being a toy.

I haven't noticed any lag in low light nor any substantive VF blackout, by the way. I think you can create such issues by adjusting the settings (turning on anti-shock etc), so I don't think you had a representative experience of the camera (it might be someone had adjusted the setting improperly in the shop). I shoot a DSLR and a variety of mirrorless cameras, you can see my thoughts on the E-M1 on my blog (see link in my signature - I never noticed these issues to mention them).

Unfortunately buried in the Oly menu system under settings, but it's there.

Also see if they"ll let you out of the shop. I think mixed fluorescent lighting is a diabolical place to test any camera. If my Leica dealer would let me outside with an M240, your dealer should let you outside with an E_M1. If not, point the camera at a light source and see if that affects the duration of the blackout.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow